MtE Update – April 5 2019
- Following worship THIS Sunday April 7 there will be a congregational conversation about the re-drafted ‘Vision and Mission’ statement of Hotham Mission, which is being re-visited in preparation for the development of the next year plan for the Mission. The draft will be available for you to consider before the Sunday of the meeting.
- This Sunday April 7 there is a fun-run near the church which will affect access on some roads; see here for details. It’s also the end of daylight saving, so you’ll have more time to find your way!
- For those interested in the recent change of name for UCA Funds Management, a letter from the Synod…
Uniting Church accepted into National Redress Scheme
[From the VicTas UCA Moderator]:
I am delighted to be able to advise that the Uniting Church in Australia has been officially recognised as an active participant in the National Redress Scheme for people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse.
The Federal Minister for Families and Social Services, the Hon Paul Fletcher MP, notified the UCA on Friday that the Church has met the requirements to begin participation.
As you are aware, we have been committed to becoming active members of the Scheme since it was announced last year so this is truly welcome news.
I would like to endorse the comments made by National President of the Assembly Dr Deidre Palmer after we were notified of our successful application.
“First and most importantly I want to acknowledge those who have been waiting for this decision, which follows months of work and cooperation with Uniting Church bodies across the country, the Department of Social Services and other State and Federal government agencies” Dr Palmer said.
“I would also like repeat once more the sincere apology I and past Uniting Church Presidents have made to people who were abused in our care as children. I am truly sorry that we didn’t protect and care for you in accordance with our Christian values.”
You can find out more about the Scheme and how to access it at the UCA Redress website http://ucaredress.org.au/ or the federal government’s official site www.nationalredress.gov.au. You can also use the freecall line 1800 737 377.
Grace and peace,
Sharon Hollis, Moderator
- If you would like to do some background reading on the texts for this Sunday April 7, see the commentary links here (with particular reference to the psalm and the gospel reading; our Ecclesiastes text for this Sunday will be Eccles 5.1-20).
- Advance Dates
- April 28 — MtE Day Luncheon after worship
- May 12 — Congregational AGM and ‘music’ discussion
- May 19 — Speaker from Lentara on the Asylum Seekers Project
- A Good Friday performance of Bach’s St Matthew’s Passion
- Details of our Lenten and Easter services are here.