MtE Update – May 11 2016
the latest MtE Update!
- This Sunday May 15 we have Lisa Sammut, Convener, Homeless Action Group as our After Worship guest speaker.
- On Thursday evening, May 19, we are co-hosting a public discussion, “Whose problem is the ‘Problem of Islam'”; the details are here.
- Please consider signing this online petition regarding Melbourne City Council’s not having continued the tenure of the current operators of “The Venny”, a partner service of Hotham Mission. In addition to the petition there will also be a Community Meeting at the Kensington Town Hall TONIGHT (Wed 11/05) 6:30pm to “discuss the future of the Kensington Adventure Playground”. This is a community consultation process whereby the voices of the local residents and patrons of The Venny will have a chance to have their voices heard and questions answered. It would be great to have as many people present as possible as this is a significant change which will have long-term impacts on the youth in the area.
- The next issue of Mark the Word is coming up: reflections on our current “futures” thinking are invited, or anything which might be on your mind! Please let Suzanne know if you have written or are intending to write something. Contributions are due May 23.
- If you can’t get to church on Sunday morning (15th), you might like to come to Evensong at St Mary’s North Melbourne at 6pm – a service in which we’ve been invited to share: 6pm.
- The latest issue of the Synod eNewsletter (May 3) is here.
Other things of potential interest:
From the Taizé in Melbourne, Working Group
Please join us this Saturday, 7 May at 5.30pm (Singing practice at 4.45pm) for Taize prayer at Trinity College Chapel, Royal Parade in Parkville.
The dates for the rest of the year are:
- 7th May
- 4th June
- 2nd July
- 6th August
- 3rd September
- 1st October
- 5th November
You can connect with us on Facebook: Taize in Melbourne, Australia.
Later in the year, one of the Taize Brothers will be in NSW leading a retreat, details are as follows:
The Courage of Mercy – with Br Ghislain – Retreat for Young Adults with music and prayers from Taizé
Where: Mt Carmel Retreat Centre, 247 St Andrews Road, Varroville, NSW, 2566 (near Campbelltown).
When: Sep 26 @ 3:00 pm – Sep 29 @ 4:00 pm
Cost: Single rooms with ensuite ($315.00), camping: $200 (suggested donation).
Please hear that these costs are ‘suggested’. So, if these are too expensive, then the Taize brothers have requested that people pay what they can afford.
Contact: John Ransom, General Manager, Mt Carmel Retreat Centre. Ph: 0435 857 690, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“According to the Bible, God is mercy, in other words, compassion and kindness. By telling the parable of the father and his two sons (Luke 15), Jesus shows us that God’s love does not depend on the good we can do; it is given unconditionally. The father loves the son who remains faithful his whole life long. And he already holds out his hands to one who left him, while that son is still far away.
God’s love is not just for a moment, but for all time. Through compassion, we can be a reflection of this love. As Christians, we share with so many believers of other religions the concern to place mercy and kindness at the centre of our lives.”
“The Courage of Mercy” – Br Alois, prior of Taizé
During this retreat, we’ll journey together into the arms of this God of Mercy. Using traditional Taize chants, prayers and presentations our retreat will be a time to pray and reflect so that we can take action, taking mercy out into our troubled world.