The Ten Commandments 2018-2019
An Old Prescription in a Culture without Purpose
The Ten Commandments series – Now completed!
Together with other Western cultures, we inhabit a world dedicated to a flight from truth. Some characteristic marks of cultures in decline are these: an ideology of relativism with regard to all claims for truth; inward self-protection from a questioning of the status quo; a secular religion which worships choice above everything; the cultivation of detachment from ultimate claims.
Why then bother with commandments from a world long gone?
From August 2018 to October 2019, Rev Bruce Barber presented a series of sermons on the 10 Commandments; the the full suite of sermons is gathered below:
- The First Commandment: “You shall have no other gods before me”
- The Second Commandment: “You shall not make for yourselves any carved image”
- The Third Commandment: “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain”
- The Fourth Commandment: “Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy”
- The Fifth Commandment – “Honour your father and mother”
- The Sixth Commandment – “You shall not kill”
- The Seventh Commandment – “You shall not commit adultery”
- The Eighth Commandment – ‘You shall not steal’
- The Ninth Commandment – ‘You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour’
- The Tenth Commandment – You shall not covet