MtE Update – August 10 2018
- THIS SUNDAY August 12 Anja & Zlatna invite you to their annual concert ‘Music without borders’ – in support of ‘Befriend a Child in Detention.’ This is to raise much needed funds for educational resources for these unfortunate children. Location: 4 Elm Street North Melbourne, Hall of Congregation
of Mark the Evangelist, 1pm. The programme will feature beautiful and intricate music from the Balkans and beyond. The programme will run for an hour without interval. Entry by donation to the cause but if you are not in a position to donate, please come and enjoy our music and community.
- Next Wednesday August 15 we will begin an experimental online discussion group, looking weekly at a chapter of a book. The book will be Northrop Frye’s The Great Code; for more on the book, see some of the reviews here. It is a challenging but very rewarding read! The quickest and cheapest way to obtain a copy is probably here (typically arrives in 7-10 days); electronic versions do not seem to be available. The experimental and online aspects of this group are that we will ‘meet’ via Skype or a similar video-conferencing vehicle — more details to come, and not as hard as it might sound (we think!). This means not having to travel in the evening for the group. The group will ‘meet’ online at 7.45pm on Wednesday August 15. Let Craig know if you are interested in joining; details on how to participate are here.
- The most recent Synod eNews (August 9) is here.
- A monthly series of sermons on the the Ten Commandments will commence on Sunday August 26. Some more details are given here, including some suggested background reading to the Commandments for the series.
- ALSO on Sunday 26 there will be an open conversation following morning tea around the recent resolution of the UCA’s national Assembly on marriage.