Yarra Yarra Presbytery Update February 2016
Presbytery News, February 8 2016
The Major Strategic Review is nearing its end, and is doing the rounds across the synod through February and March giving people the opportunity to hear and give feedback on its vision and plans as well as explore its findings and the potential changes for the church. The session to be held in this region is happening a month from today on Tuesday 8th March from 6:30pm-9:30pm (with a break) at Heathmont UC. I recommend it to you regardless of whether you are planning to nominate to attend the Synod meeting as a member and engage in conversations there. More information can be found here and you are invited to register to help with catering.
- Our next whole of council meeting is coming up on Saturday 27th February. Stay tuned for the agenda and reports.
- Transform conference – ‘Transform’ is an initiative of several inner-city Uniting Church congregations:Brunswick Uniting Church, Church of All Nations, the Congregation of Mark the Evangelist and Wesley Uniting Church and seeks to gather young adults who might be alone in their home congregation or have no home congregation but want to explore faith. The next Transform conference will be held on the weekend of 19th-21st February 2016, featuring Rev Prof Bill Loader on the theme ‘The Bible, faith and human sexuality’. More information here
- Clinical Pastoral Education – the next CPE program being offered under the Commission for Mission will commence 4thAugust; applications close 9th June.
- Exclusion and Embrace: Disability, Justice and Spirituality – this multi-faith conference reflects a growing interest in issues of faith and meaning in the lived experience of disability. It is to be held 21-23 August 2016 at the Jasper Hotel, 489 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne. For more information see the website
- Women’s Theology Conference – seeks to empower women to effectively share their Christian perspectives on faith, theology, sacred texts, ministry, service, the arts and more through the expression of their academic and professional activities. To be held at Grace College, University of Queensland from 27th June-1st July. More information here
- Mind Body Spirit at North Balwyn – Mr Robert Turner, a solicitor working in the legal unit of the VicTas Synod, will speak on the “The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse”, providing some background to the setting up of the Royal Commission and a few of the more topical issues which have arisen. This will be followed by soup and a short reflective service. Sunday 28th February, 5:30pm-7:30pm at North Balwyn UC, 17-21 Duggan St.
- Lenten Studies at North Balwyn with Rev John Rickard – now retired, John worked for 10 years as the Resource Worker with the Uniting Aboriginal and Islander Christian Congress and for 10 years before that as the Executive Director of the Commission for Mission. The theme of this Lenten Study series is ‘Post-Colonial Theology’ and will be held on the following Wednesdays:
Ø ‘The Theology of Colonialism’ – 2nd March, 8-9:30pm
Ø ‘Post Colonialism and the Bible’ – 9th March, 8-9:30pm
Ø ‘The Theology supporting a Post-Colonial approach’ – 16th March, 8-9:30pm
Cost: $10 for all 3 sessions incl. refreshments. North Balwyn Uniting Church, 17-21 Duggan St (Mel. 46 F3). Call 9857 8412 (W-F) or email@example.com.
- Suicide Prevention Forum – a day of information, education and development for mental health professionals and support workers. A flyer is attached.