MtE Update – February 21 2019
- Beginning this Sunday February 24, and for most of the Sundays and special services in Lent, we will be working through parts of the book of Ecclesiastes, using ‘the Teacher’s’ understanding of ‘life under the sun’ as a way of interpreting Jesus’ path to the cross. More information about this can be found here, but in the mean time you might find it helpful to take the time to read Ecclesiastes once or twice before we begin together with it.
- Hotham Mission will be running a BBQ fundraiser at Brunswick Bunnings (in the carpark behind the store) on Saturday March 9, between about 8:30am – 4:30pm. If you are interested and able to assist for however long on the day, please let HM’s community development coordindator, Joey, know: email@example.com.
(11am-2pm is the busiest, but help at any time would be great!)
- The most recent Synod eNews (Feb 14) is here.
- The most recent update from Justice and International Mission Unit is here.
- We will have another of our hymn-learning sessions after worship on Sunday March 3.
- Our Lenten Study series will run for four weeks after Ash Wednesday (Wednesday nights, March 13,20,27 and April 3). An intro to the series can be found here. There will also be a Friday morning series at Hawthorn in the same weeks (March 15, 22, 29 and April 5).
- Our focus on Ecclesiastes begins this Sunday, with Eccles 1.1-18 being our lead text. Each Sunday we will also hear the psalm and gospel set for the day; for those interested in doing some preparation prior to hearing those two readings for this coming Sunday February 24, see the commentary links here.
Other things potentially of interest
A Good Friday performance of Bach’s St Matthew’s Passion
- Details of our Lenten and Easter services are now available here.