MtE Update – August 15 2018
- TONIGHT, Wednesday August 15, the online discussion group commences, looking at Northrop Frye’s The Great Code; for more on the book, see some of the reviews here. It is a challenging but very rewarding read! The quickest and cheapest way to obtain a copy is probably here (typically arrives in 7-10 days); electronic versions do not seem to be available. The experimental and online aspects of this group are that we will ‘meet’ via Skype or a similar video-conferencing vehicle — more details to come, and not as hard as it might sound (we think!). This means not having to travel in the evening for the group. The group will ‘meet’ online at 7.45pm on Wednesday August 15. Let Craig know if you are interested in joining; details on how to participate are here.
- The 2018 JD Northey Lecture: “Truth and Reality: An Ecclesiology of Resistance.” Thursday August 23, 7pm at the CTM; details.
- For those interested in some background commentary to the readings for this Sunday August 12, see the links here (we’ll hear Ps 34 and the gospel reading this week, in addition to our focus text from 1 John – 1 John 5.1-12 (cf. here), a reflection on the church’s faith in God as Trinity).
- A monthly series of sermons on the the Ten Commandments will commence on Sunday August 26. Some more details are given here, including some suggested background reading to the Commandments for the series.
- ALSO on Sunday 26 there will be an open conversation following morning tea around the recent resolution of the UCA’s national Assembly on marriage.