MtE Update – August 3 2018
- This Sunday we formally welcome of couple of members as transfers to the congregation!
- Late-ish notice but… on Wednesday August 15 we will begin an experimental online discussion group, looking weekly at a chapter of a book. The book will be Northrop Frye’s The Great Code; for more on the book, see some of the reviews here. It is a challenging but very rewarding read! The quickest and cheapest way to obtain a copy is probably here (typically arrives in 7-10 days); electronic versions do not seem to be available. The experimental and online aspects of this group are that we will ‘meet’ via Skype or a similar video-conferencing vehicle — more details to come, and not as hard as it might sound (we think!). This means not having to travel in the evening for the group. The group will ‘meet’ online at 7.45pm on Wednesday August 15, 7.45pm. Let Craig know if you are interested in joining, and we’ll send the details on how to participate!
- A monthly series of sermons on the the Ten Commandments will commence on Sunday August 26. Some more details are given here, including some suggested background reading to the Commandments for the series.
- You might be interested in this brief account by the composer of the music setting for the Eucharist, ‘the Mass for the Fallen’, which we regularly use in worship at MtE (YouTube video link).
- For those interested in some background commentary to the readings for this Sunday August 5, see the links here (we’ll hear Ps 78 and the gospel reading this week, in addition to our focus text from 1 John – 1 John 4.13.-16 (cf. here), a reflection on the church’s faith in God as Trinity).
Other things potentially of interest
- For those interested in the question of indigenous sovereinty in Australia, two lectures at RMIT Uni
- A Jazz fundraiser for Refugees, August 4